New Employee Orientation
Your Welcome to Carolina Blue orientation session will either take place at the William and Ida Friday Center for Continuing Education, at the Courtyard by Marriott in Chapel Hill, or online via Zoom. See the Upcoming Orientation Sessions section below to see where your orientation session will be located.
100 Friday Center Drive
Chapel Hill, NC 27517
100 Marriott Way
Chapel Hill, NC 27517
What to Bring
- Original and unexpired identity and employment authorization document(s) for completion of the Form I-9.
- (Optional) Social Security Number(s) for your designated benefit plan beneficiaries, if you choose to complete this documentation during the session. Note: You will have an opportunity to submit the beneficiary forms to the Benefits office at a later date.
- We strive to maintain a standard temperature in orientation rooms. For your comfort, we recommend that you bring a light sweater or jacket.
- You will be provided with coffee, light breakfast, and refreshments before and during the orientation program.
8:00-8:30 a.m. – Registration & Parking
8:30-9:15 a.m. – UNC’s History & Achievements
9:15-9:25 a.m. – Break
9:25-9:45 a.m. – Mission & Vision
9:45-10:40 a.m. – Employment Documents
10:40-10:50 a.m. – Break
10:50-11:40 a.m. – Benefits Review
11:40 a.m.-12:00 p.m. – Safety, Professional Development & Perks
12:00-1:00 p.m. Lunch will be provided at the orientation session
Following the session, you will report to your work location. Your department will continue the onboarding process by orienting you to your position.
- Orientation Checklist for New Employees (Updated December 2019)
- Orientation Checklist for Supervisors (Updated July 2018)
Human Resources Consultants and Representatives must register new faculty for orientation.
Faculty Attending NEO On or Before Their Hire Date
If a Faculty member attends NEO on or before the their hire date, the OHR I-9 unit will complete the Form I-9 on behalf of the hiring department as long as the Faculty attends the full orientation program (8:30 a.m.- 1 p.m.) and the hiring department HR Representative completes the following actions by noon on the Wednesday prior to orientation:
- Registers the Faculty member for NEO
- Fully executes the hire ePAR in ConnectCarolina
- Sends the LawLogix I-9 invitation
Faculty Attending NEO After Their Hire Date
If a faculty member attends NEO following the effective date of hire, the hiring department will continue to be responsible for ensuring that the Form I-9 is completed correctly and timely.
If the Human Resources Consultant or Representative should have any questions regarding the Form I-9 process for Faculty, they should contact the Office of Human Resources I-9 unit at (919) 962-0985 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
In light of the University’s response to COVID-19 and the desire to limit in-person meetings, Welcome to Carolina Blue, our new hire orientation program, will be delivered via Zoom. The orientation program manager will email all new hires who are registered for orientation the Thursday prior to orientation. If you do not see the email in your inbox, please check your spam folder.
In this email the program manager will include the following:
- New hire documents to be reviewed and signed during orientation
- Directions on how to return the new hire documents
- Directions on how to use Zoom
- September 14, 2020
- September 21, 2020
- September 28, 2020
- October 5, 2020
- October 12, 2020
- October 19, 2020
- October 26, 2020
- November 2, 2020
- November 9, 2020
- November 16, 2020
- November 23, 2020
- November 30, 2020
- December 7, 2020
- December 14, 2020
- December 21, 2020